Taken from Grandma's Kitchen, posted for safekeeping. To make stiff peaks quickly with whipping cream, chill the mixing bowl and the beaters before beating the cream. Also, make sure the whipping cream is will chilled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
- 2Combine reserved cherry juice, cherries, granulated sugar and cornstarch in saucepan.
- 3Cook and stir over low heat until thickened.
- 4Add vanilla and stir.
- 5Split each cake layer in half horizontally.
- 6Crumble one half layer, set aside.
- 7Beat cold whipping cream and the confectioner's sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer set at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- 8Reserve 1 1/2 cups whipped cream for decorative piping.
- 9Place one cake layer on serving plate.
- 10Spread with 1 cup whipped cream; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping.
- 11Top with second cake layer, 1 cup whipped cream and 3/4 cup cherry topping; top with third cake layer.
- 12Frost cake sides with remaining whipped cream; pat gently with reserved cake crumbs.
- 13Spoon reserved 1 1/2 cups whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip; pipe around top and bottom edges of cake.
- 14Spoon remaining cherry topping over top of cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Forest Cake
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.9
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 81.5 mg
- Sodium 23.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
9-inch layers of chocolate cake