Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick and tasty...enjoy it with some roti and a light salad.
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups black-eyed peas, canned, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Boil potato in medium pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes; drain.
- Blend 1/2 cup black-eyed peas, 1/2 cup water, ginger and turmeric in processor until smooth.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 cups black-eyed peas, puree from processor, potato and tomato to skillet.
- Cook until mixture is thick and creamy, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer curry to large bowl.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.