Recipe by LitaLou
This is one of our favorite cool weather dishes - it's so good with cornbread! The recipe came from Bush's. It's one I never really tinker with, and that's unusual for me. The ingredients are just right in the original.
Top Review by windhorse23
This was delicious. I didn't pay too much mind to measuring quantities, except for the sausage. I used spicy breakfast sausage. I would have loved to include mushrooms, but I didn't have any. It didn't make a lot, but it would be simple to add more sausage and beans to increase the quantity. I send Rotel tomatoes and threw in the whole can, minus the liquid. This dish was a pleasant surprise.
- 226.79 g bulk pork sausage
- 118.29 ml green pepper, chopped
- 59.14 ml onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml canned tomato
- 1.23 ml oregano
- 1.23 ml rosemary
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 450.19 g can black-eyed peas (do not drain)
- 236.59 ml cheese, grated (cheddar, co-jack, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage in large skillet, crumbling with fork as it browns. Drain any accumulated fat.
- Add green pepper & onion to skillet with sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes & seasonings, stir well.
- Pour in blackeyed peas with the liquid in the can. Cover & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with grated cheese on top.