Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe clipped from Crafting Traditions magazine. According to the article, the recipe poster had asked a local restaurant for the recipe many times. Eventually, when the restaurant owner retired, he shared the recipe with the customer. A good choice for New Year's festivities. I have lightened some of the ingredients, but you may use the original full calorie versions if you prefer.
- 1 lb lean bulk turkey sausage or 1 lb pork sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups water
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with canning juices
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained (such as Ro-Tel)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large stockpot, brown sausage and beef with onion until no longer pink; drain off fat.
- Return meat and onions to the same pot and add all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes.
Wow, this was so good! We loved it!
I really enjoyed this soup. Excellent flavor combination and it's very filling. Thanks for sharing this recipe.