Recipe by Chef Jeff Garland
This is the 2004 International Chili Society's World Champion Chili Verde recipe won by Wes Carlson from Loves Park, Illinois. I haven't tried it yet but plan on it soon.
- 2 lbs pork loin, Cubed
- 1 (28 ounce) can green chili peppers, Whole, Seed and cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups water
- 5 jalapenos, Seeded
- 1 medium sweet onion, Chopped
- 5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 8 ounces green enchilada sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together Salt, Cumin, and Oregano. Set aside.
- Blend together Jalapenos and Green Sauce. Set aside.
- Gray pork in frying pan. Set aside.
- Combine Chicken Broth, Half the Water, Onion and Garlic in Cooking Pot. Heat until Onion is translucent.
- Add Blended Jalapenos, Pork and 1-1/2 Tbsp of Cumin mixture to pot.
- Continue cooking over medium heat.
- After one hour, add 1/3 can green chilis (blended), 1 Tbsp Green Tabasco Sauce and another 1-1/2 Tbsp of Cumin mixture.
- After 2-1/2 hours, add remaining green chilis, Green Tabasco Sauce and Cumin mixture.
- Salt, thicken or thin sauce to suit.