2 hrs 10 mins
Sweet Diva's Note:
From Taste of Home. I actually prepare these in my slow cooker. Just combine the ingredients (except for the red wine vinegar and 2 teaspoons olive oil) and let them cook all day on low. Add the vinegar and oil before serving. I double or triple the recipe and freeze them in 2 cup portions to use in recipes that call for a can of black beans. I also serve them sometimes with salsa, cheese and sour cream if I don't have the red pepper or jalepenos, as I always have salsa on hand. **PLEASE NOTE** Cooking time is based on original recipe instructions below and not on my slow cooker method.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried black beans, rinsed
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup diced fully cooked lean ham
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 inches.
- 2Bring to a boil; for 2 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 4Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 5Return to the pan.
- 6Add 7 cups water, ham, garlic, pepper, cumin,.
- 7salt, bay leaf and liquid smoke if desired. Bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 9Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring broth and rice to a boil.
- 10Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 11Just before serving, discard bay leaf from bean mixture; add vinegar and oil.
- 12Serve over rice.
- 13Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese, 1 tablespoon red pepper and 1 teaspoon jalapenos.
- 14Yield: 12 servings.
- 16I always have water left in the beans; serve with a slotted spoon or drain beans and place over rice on a serving plate.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Beans 'n' Rice (Stove-Top or Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.3
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.5 mg
- Sodium 587.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 14.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat cheddar cheese