Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Taste of Home. I actually prepare these in my slow cooker. Just combine the ingredients (except for the red wine vinegar and 2 teaspoons olive oil) and let them cook all day on low. Add the vinegar and oil before serving. I double or triple the recipe and freeze them in 2 cup portions to use in recipes that call for a can of black beans. I also serve them sometimes with salsa, cheese and sour cream if I don't have the red pepper or jalepenos, as I always have salsa on hand. **PLEASE NOTE** Cooking time is based on original recipe instructions below and not on my slow cooker method.
- 1 lb dried black beans, rinsed
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup diced fully cooked lean ham
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil; for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Return to the pan.
- Add 7 cups water, ham, garlic, pepper, cumin,.
- salt, bay leaf and liquid smoke if desired. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring broth and rice to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Just before serving, discard bay leaf from bean mixture; add vinegar and oil.
- Serve over rice.
- Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese, 1 tablespoon red pepper and 1 teaspoon jalapenos.
- Yield: 12 servings.
- I always have water left in the beans; serve with a slotted spoon or drain beans and place over rice on a serving plate.
These are some of the best black beans I've tasted. Will definitely use these in any recipe that calls for black beans as well. These tasted great after letting them simmer in the slow cooker all day. Thanks for the great recipe.