1/2 Photos of Black Bean Soup
2 hrs 45 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
These black beans are delicious. I have made these for years, everyone likes them. I have passed along the recipe to lots of people. I got the recipe out of a PG&E pamphlet (years ago). The recipe is from MUSTARD'S GRILL' in St. Helena CA, the Napa Valley. Prep time does not include soaking the beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb black beans
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 lb bacon
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups beef broth
- 1Soak beans overnight in the water OR bring to boil then let stand for 1 hour; drain.
- 2Cook bacon in heavy, large pot over medium heat until golden brown and crisp, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- 3Mix in garlic, celery, carrot, onion, jalapeño and bay leaf.
- 4Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 5Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne and pepper.
- 6Stir until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- 7Add beans and broth.
- 8Cook at a slow boil until beans are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 9I have used more broth to make it a soup.
- 10Season with salt.
- 11Mustard's serves these beans topped with chopped red onions, a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (648 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.1
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 12.8 mg
- Sodium 1213.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 16.2 g