Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
There are several BBS recipes but this one is slightly different and my family's favorite. Made in the slowcooker.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups vegetable stock (homemade is better but canned will do)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large skillet, let the oil heat over medium heat.
- Add in the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic; cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are softened.
- Transfer veggie mixture to a 4-6 quart slowcooker.
- Add in the beans, tomatoes with juice, vegetable stock, bay leaves, cumin, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper; stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove and throw away bay leaf; adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add in lemon juice right before you are ready to serve.
- To thicken soup, puree about 2 cups (or up to one-half) of soup solids by using an immersion blender right in the cooker or take out soup solids and tranfer to a blender or food processor; return puree to slow-cooker.
Wonderful soup. It was a hit with my 88 year old FIL. I did cut back on the spices for him a bit, but added a pince of chipotle chili to my own bowl. I added some celery & frozen corn, frozen black beans, some chicken broth, yellow & orange peppers as that was what I had, and then realized I was out of diced tomatoes so used a bit of V8 juice. I didn't puree any of it to thicken at the end as you can tell by the pictures. Leftovers are packaged and frozen for future lunches. Thanks for posting this recipe ratherbeswimmin, it has gone into my file of make again soups.
My favorite BBS recipe! Very light. I make it in a pot to simmer on the stove and it still tastes delicious!
I found this recipe in a veggie slow cooker book I have and made several changes (omitted carrot, bay leaves and thyme, and added extra cumin and minced jalapeno). Cooked it on high for 4 hours in my crockpot, and it was still good! I also added 3 cups of cooked seasoned rice with peas toward the end of cooking for a heartier meal, and garnished with chopped cilantro. I love that I can vary the veggies based on what I have in my fridge. Next time I may try adding zucchini, celery, spinach, or corn.