1/2 Photos of Black Bean Soup
8 hrs 30 mins
There are several BBS recipes but this one is slightly different and my family's favorite. Made in the slowcooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups vegetable stock (homemade is better but canned will do)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1In a large skillet, let the oil heat over medium heat.
- 2Add in the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic; cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are softened.
- 3Transfer veggie mixture to a 4-6 quart slowcooker.
- 4Add in the beans, tomatoes with juice, vegetable stock, bay leaves, cumin, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper; stir to mix.
- 5Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- 6Remove and throw away bay leaf; adjust seasonings to taste.
- 7Add in lemon juice right before you are ready to serve.
- 8To thicken soup, puree about 2 cups (or up to one-half) of soup solids by using an immersion blender right in the cooker or take out soup solids and tranfer to a blender or food processor; return puree to slow-cooker.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.1
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.3 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: