There are several BBS recipes but this one is slightly different and my family's favorite. Made in the slowcooker.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups vegetable stock (homemade is better but canned will do)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large skillet, let the oil heat over medium heat.
- Add in the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic; cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are softened.
- Transfer veggie mixture to a 4-6 quart slowcooker.
- Add in the beans, tomatoes with juice, vegetable stock, bay leaves, cumin, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper; stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove and throw away bay leaf; adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add in lemon juice right before you are ready to serve.
- To thicken soup, puree about 2 cups (or up to one-half) of soup solids by using an immersion blender right in the cooker or take out soup solids and tranfer to a blender or food processor; return puree to slow-cooker.