1/2 Photos of Black Bean Chili Mole #RSC
2 hrs 45 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry! A new twist to a Southwestern favorite. The dark cocoa adds a complex 'mole' flavor to the dish. Can be prepared on the stovetop or in crockpot. Time indicated is for stove top preparation. The photos are of the taco salad that I made the next day with the leftovers . . . YUM!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium red peppers, roasted, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh sweet corn (two ears)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup dark beer (beef broth can be substituted)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder, adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark cocoa
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt, to taste
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- 1Preheat oven on broil.
- 2Line baking sheet with a large piece of Reynold Wrap foil.
- 3Place washed (and dried) whole poblano and red peppers on foil and place in the oven under the broiler.
- 4Broil until pepper turns brown and blistered, NOT charred black, approximately one to two minute per side.
- 5Turn peppers and roast all sides until browned and blistered.
- 6Remove from oven and fold the Reynolds Wrap around the peppers and allow to steam for approximately 20 minutes.
- 7Carefully peal the skins from the peppers, do not rinse them under running water.
- 8Remove the stem and seeds and chop.
- 9Brown bacon until crispy in large skillet (if using the crockpot method) or dutch oven if using stove-top method.
- 10Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- 11Discard all but one tablespoon of bacon grease.
- 12Using the same pan, add onions and saute for 2 minutes, scraping up the bacon bits off the bottom.
- 13Add garlic and ground beef: saute, breaking up the beef into small pieces as it cooks.
- 14Cook until meat is browned.
- 15Drain off excess grease and place mixture in crockpot or dutch oven.
- 16Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, beer, bacon, peppers, beans, corn, cilantro, chipolte chili, adobo sauce, cocoa and spices.
- 17If cooking on the stove top, simmer for two hours on low, or 6-8 hours if using a crockpot. (Check manufacturers recommendation).
- 18Just before serving squeeze in the juice of one lime.
- 19NOTE: If the chili is to thin, mix a little masa harina with water and stir small amounts into the chili until you reach the right consistency. Corn chips can also be dropped into the chili and they will dissolve and thicken the chili.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Chili Mole #RSC
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.2
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 85.2 mg
- Sodium 519.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.4 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 35.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo