Recipe by internetnut
South - of - the - border burgers. This came from Family Circle. I have not tried this recipe posting for safe keeping.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 15 1⁄2 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup minced red onion
- 1⁄3 cup medium salsa, plus 3 tbl
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 multigrain seeded hamburger buns
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 sliced avocado, pitted and peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Heat broiler. Combine chili powder, garlic powder and cumin in a small nonstick skillet. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sirloin, black beans, spice mixture, red onion, 1/3 cup of the salsa, salt and pepper. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until texture is slightly smooth and about half of the beans have been mashed. Return to bowl and divide into 6 hamburger patties.
- Coat burgers with nonstick cooking spray. Grill 4 minutes, then flip over and grill another 4 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of burger registers 140.
- Meanwhile, toast buns under broiler for 3 minutes, turning once. In a small bowl, stir together remaining 3 tablespoons salsa and the mayonnaise. Spread each bun with some of the salsa mayo. Add a burger and a few avocado slices and serve.