1/2 Photos of Black Bean Chicken Fiesta Bake
Sweet Diva's Note:
I made this casserole several nights ago and my family LOVED it. Great one dish meal that is simple to throw together - add a salad and you're done! Also reheats well - a must for me as my DH works nights and often comes home quite late looking for something to eat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (12oz)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 3/4 lb)
- 2 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1Heat oven to 400°F Spray a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
- 2In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening and combine until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add milk and mix just until ingredients are combined. Spread evenly in pan. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup of the cheese over batter.
- 3In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil, stirring frequently, until done; drain. Stir in salsa and black beans; heat until hot. Spoon evenly over batter in pans to within 1/2-inch of edges.
- 4Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until edges are dark golden brown. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup of the remaining cheese over casserole. Bake 1 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cool slightly; loosen from sides of pan; cut into squares.
- 5High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Increase first bake time to 25 to 30 minutes.
- 7You may substitue Bisquick for the bread layer if you wish -- omit first five ingredients in recipe and instead mix together 2 1/3 cups Bisquick, 1/2 cup water and 3 eggs; proceed with recipe.
- 8ALSO, you may substitute approximately 2 cups prepared black beans for the canned if you make your own ahead of time and freeze, as I do.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Chicken Fiesta Bake
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.1
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 98.6 mg
- Sodium 1098.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 40.8 g