Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great hard biscuit with a twinge of hotness! A staple in Italian delis and "pastosas".
Make and share this Biscotti Di Pepe - Taralli - Italian Pepper Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Sift flour salt and pepper onto mixing board.
- Make a well in the center and add yeast and oil.
- Blend together and gradually incorporate into flour.
- The dough will be stiff.
- Knead 10 minutes.
- Place in oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with towel and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Break off small pieces of dough and roll into ropes about 6 inches long.
- Form a ring and pinch edges together.
- Place on baking sheet and let rise 20 minutes.
- Brush with oil and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
This recipe has the exact flavor and texture of the Pepper Biscuits I have been buying from local Italian bakeries for years. The only change I made was to add a tablespoon of lightly toasted fennel seeds (again as they are locally made). This recipe is a keeper and I will be making the biscuits often. They a sooooo good with a cup of coffee.
Really did love these. My friend called them little doughnut biscotti's. Perfect amount of pepper. I like the rope shape too, more of a bread stick. Careful with the oil! Next time I might cut back on the oil a tbsp. Thanks for posting!
Excellent pepper biscuit recipe! In my family it is traditional to bake them long, still in the rope shape, like a bread stick. This is how I made them. Cooking time was approx. the same...excellent recipe.