Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
These yummy blueberry pancakes are great for a special weekend breakfast. Have kids help stir in the blueberries and say the "magic spell!" Original recipe is from JustBerryRecipes.com -- serving size is a guess, I'm not sure how many pancakes this actually makes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour or 1 1⁄4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Beat egg and milk together and add to dry ingredients, along with oil: DO NOT OVER MIX. Stir only until dry ingredients are moist.
- Gently fold in blueberries. As you do so (this is the magic part) say three times: "Gobble dee gook with a wooden spoon, The laugh of a toad at the height of the moon!".
- Pour on a hot griddle and watch 'em sizzle. Serve with butter and real maple syrup, or maybe some fresh whipped cream!
These were fabulously fluffy!! But I added 3/4c. of Evaporated Milk instead of the low fat milk & I also added a whole chopped up banana as well as the blueberries, and they turned out extremely tasty :) I made them small too (about 3-4" diameter).
There are some recipes you will always love because they come from the heart. The original recipe for these came from a children's book (from my childhood) "Old Black Witch" by Wende and Harry Devlin. (about a mother and young son who are turning an old house into a tearoom. Surprise! It's already occupied by a witch.) I loved the book and my mother would make these pancakes for a special occasion. They always make me feel warm and fuzzy. There are probably better pancakes out there, but to me these ones are magical.
My DH and I enjoyed these. Prepared them almost exactly as the recipe stated, but tossed in an extra handful of blueberries. Served w/ butter & syrup. We got 7 mid-size pancakes out of this recipe.