1/5 Photos of Betty Turpin's Hot Pot
3 hrs 30 mins
This is a famous recipe, often cooked on the British soap opera Coronation Street.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lamb necks, cubed
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onions or 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 3/4 pint light stock or 3/4 pint hot water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 ounce dripping
- 1 ounce butter (or use only 2 ozs. butter, no drippings)
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 2Melt the dripping or 1 oz butter over a high heat in a heavy-bottomed frying pan until the fat smokes.
- 3Seal the meat and continue frying until nicely browned.
- 4Remove the pieces from the pan to a deep casserole or divide among four individual high-sided oven proof dishes.
- 5Turn down the heat to medium.
- 6Fry the onions in the pan juices, adding a little more butter or dripping if necessary.
- 7When the onions are soft and starting to brown, sprinkle on the flour and stir in to soak up the fat and the juices.
- 8As the flour paste starts to colour, start adding stock or water a few tablespoons at a time, stirring vigorously to avoid lumps.
- 9Gradually add the rest of the liquid.
- 10Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, add the Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Pour the onions and liquid over the meat and mix well.
- 12Tuck in the bay leaf (tear into 4 pieces if making individual hot pots).
- 13Arrange the potatoes over the meat in overlapping layers, seasoning each layer.
- 14Dot the top layer of potatoes with the remainder of the butter.
- 15Cover the dish and place on the top shelf of the oven for 2 hours.
- 16Uncover and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- 17If the potatoes are not brown at this point, turn up the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes, or finish under the grill, brushing the potato slices with more butter if they look dry.
- 18Serve with red cabbage and chips.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Betty Turpin's Hot Pot
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.6
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 93.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: