Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This has to be the BEST old time pound cake ever. It is so dense and has a crunchy crust. A favorite in our family. This cake is often requested for birthdays. It is great with fruit and whipped cream.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Cream together sugar, margarine and Crisco.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flours together.
- Add flours to the cream mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Add the vanilla.
- Beat for 10 minutes, scraping down the bowl several times.
- Pour into greased and floured tube pan.
- Place in a COLD oven.
- Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Note: Sometimes this cake has taken up to 2 hours to bake. It all depends on the oven. You don't want to raise the oven temperature because the crust won't form properly.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 30 minutes and then run a butter knife around the edges before removing it from the pan.