This has been a staple side dish at every holiday meal for my whole life and I could not believe that it had not been reproduced on Recipezaar! I usually take the leftovers home and eat it by the bowl! NOTE This is a recipe that I do by taste so do not feel confined by these measurements i.e. add more squash for leftovers, if you want it cheesier add more cheese, you can't go wrong. Also, I use 1 bag of Pre-Shredded Mexican Cheese Mix, but any mild cheese (Mild Cheddar, Jack, American) should work.
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Chop yellow squash and onion into small, uniform pieces.
- Add the squash and onion to a medium sized pot and cook in the butter over medium heat until soft and mushy.
- Season cooked mixture to taste.
- Beat the egg with a fork and add it to the squash mixture.
- Add one cup of shredded cheese to the mixture and stir until melted and mixed.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 min or until cheese lightly browned.
Great recipe for low carb dieters, but very rich. It's helpful to specify 1 lb. of squash as sizes vary. Used yellow cheddar for the mixture and sprinkled a little sharp cheddar on top for color. Also, I cooked squash with 2 T butter and no water and thought I drained it well enough, but it was still a bit soupy. Next time I'll drain it very well. Thanks so much for this recipe - delicious!
Well, I made a few changes because I was short on time, and my husband raved about it. Instead of cooking the squash and onion til mushy, I diced everything, mixed with egg, cheese, and topped with the butter. I then put in the oven at 200 for 1 1/2 hours (while at swim practice), then put at 350 for 30 minutes after I got back home. The squash was still a little crunchy, which was really good!
OOOOOh my goodness! This is very, very good! This reminds me of the side dish served at Blackeyed Peas years ago. I have a recipe we use often but this is such a cleaner, lighter version. The squash really shines through. Very simple to make. Thumbs up by all family members!! Thanks for a really great recipe that I will make often!