This has been a staple side dish at every holiday meal for my whole life and I could not believe that it had not been reproduced on Recipezaar! I usually take the leftovers home and eat it by the bowl! NOTE This is a recipe that I do by taste so do not feel confined by these measurements i.e. add more squash for leftovers, if you want it cheesier add more cheese, you can't go wrong. Also, I use 1 bag of Pre-Shredded Mexican Cheese Mix, but any mild cheese (Mild Cheddar, Jack, American) should work.
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Chop yellow squash and onion into small, uniform pieces.
- Add the squash and onion to a medium sized pot and cook in the butter over medium heat until soft and mushy.
- Season cooked mixture to taste.
- Beat the egg with a fork and add it to the squash mixture.
- Add one cup of shredded cheese to the mixture and stir until melted and mixed.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 min or until cheese lightly browned.