Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We love Venison. Being such a wonderful lean meat we expecially enjoy chili with it. Here is our version of Venison Chili. (I use my own canned tomatoes and salsa)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground venison
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning mix (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- 4 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 3 cups salsa
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans
- Brown venison with 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, with the chopped onions, celery, green peppers, and garlic. Put chopped tomatoes and salsa in a large pot. Add meat mixture, beans and all the spices. Adjust spices to suite your taste. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- serve with corn bread.
Great recipe! Delicious!
Excellent!! So very easy to make and so tasteful. Thank you so much.
This is the ultimate best! Just now entered hour 2 of cooking in dutch oven. I keep having 'samples'. Everything home canned/grown except the beans: and of course the ground venison. I did soak the meat in some milk and drained; (to kill the wildness out of it). Have already put your recipe in my cook book and will be looking up even more of your recipes. Thank you so much!