Recipe by Engrossed
These are a wonderful thin, crispy, nutty oatmeal cookie. The recipe is from The California Heritage Cookbook.
Top Review by Lainey39
I loved these cookies. I love the nutty flavor with the oatmeal. Mine came out crisp on the edges and soft in the middle. I actually got about 60 cookies out of this recipe so maybe I made mine smaller than yours. I baked the cookies in the oven for 10 minutes and they turned out perfect. Thanks for such a good cookie!
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 cubes)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts (may be ground in a blender) or 3⁄4 cup pecans, ground (may be ground in a blender)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- granulated sugar, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl cream the butter and add sugars, beating until fluffy.
- Blend egg into creamed mixture.
- Sift together into the creamed mixture the flour, soda, and cinnamon.
- Blend in the oats, nuts and vanilla.
- Chill dough 1 hour or more.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets.
- Place small pieces of dough (about 1 teaspoonful) on a greased cookie sheet.
- Grease the bottom of a small glass, dip in sugar, and press gently on each uncooked cookie, flattening it to a thickness of about 1/4 inch, resugaring glass for each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool 2-3 minutes on the sheet, remove cookies, and cool completely on racks. Store them in an airtight container.