Prep 2 mins
Cook 6 mins
After trying Fried Green Tomatoes in several restaurants I finally broke down & threw this together to see if I could do better & voila! Best I've ever had so do try this & be sure to get ripe green tomatoes (or striped heirlooms) from your local farmer's market. That's the only way to enjoy them. Some places will cheat & use regualr tomatoes that aren't ripe (so they're still green) and the flavor is just awful. You really have to have ripe green ones to do it justice... My favorite is Giant German Green & I used to grow them at home but the squirrels & rabbits have done my garden in so I have to make the trip to Tom's Farms. Well worth it! Hope you enjoy! Oh, hey, if you like add a few drops hot sauce to the egg, try without first. If you have any bacon fat the flavor is worth it to add a bit of that to butter & oil.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe green tomatoes (or striped heirloom)
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan-romano cheese mix, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or to your taste, start small)
- In a quart storage bag mix bread crumbs, cheese, salt & pepper.
- Beat eggs or mix 'em all up in a bag of their own until well blended.
- Slice tomatoes about 1/2" thick & place in egg, remove & place in bread crumb mixture individually and shake until well coated.
- Heat butter & oil over medium, fry tomatoes until lightly browned & just crispy, about 3 minutes per side - don't burn!
- Devour. I promise these will not disappoint!