Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are many similar rum cakes here at the Zaar, but this recipe is just slightly different! I've made this cake for the holidays for many years. I've donated many of these cakes for bake sales and auctions too. Very moist and delicious.
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped, to 3/4 cup
- 18 ounces yellow cake mix, Duncan Hines is best
- 1 small vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum, Meyers Dark is best
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, no substitues
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour bundt or angel food cake pan. Sprinkle layer of pecans over bottom of cake pan. Set aside. Combine all ingredients, mix at medium to high speed for 2 minutes. Pour over layer of pecans. Bake 60 minutes. Insert knife or toothpick into cake; if it comes out dry, cake is done. Let cool for about 10 minutes, then invert onto plate. Glaze while hot.
- GLAZE: Combine all ingredients for glaze in small but tall saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to gently boil for 2 minutes. (Note: you need the tall saucepan with enough head room to allow boiling to swell up without spilling over edge of pan.).
- With a skewer, poke holes all over the cake sides, top and the center. Spoon glaze over the cake slowly, allowing cake to soak in the glaze. It is best made the day before so that the cake can get "drunk".