Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an old recipe that I wrote down from somewhere(?) over 20 years ago. Very good for using up fresh blueberries.
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Beat egg well, stir in vigorously shortening creamed with sugars.
- Sift together flour, powder and salt and add alternately with milk, starting and stopping with flour mixture.
- Mix in lemon peel and extract.
- Fold in blueberries very gently.
- Bake in a 9 inch square pan at 350* for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
The cake was light and moist, but I found the taste of the lemon extract too "chemical"; I would use fresh lemon juice next time. I also thought there was too much sugar and I prefer butter over shortening. I should have spread the blueberries over on top instead of folding them in because they all sank to the bottom.
These is a wonderful, moist cake. The addition of the lemon extract and zest gave the cake an extra zing. I think it balanced the sweetness of the cake and berries. Very pleasing. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.