Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "The Muffin Bible" published by Penguin Books.. The custard powder could be substituted for some extra vanilla. When I make these with rhubard or pear, I add 1 tsp ground cardamom to the dry ingredients.
- 473.18 ml flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml custard powder
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 177.44 ml milk
- 158.51 ml butter, melted and cool
- 4.92 ml lemon peel, grated
- 354.88 ml blueberries or 354.88 ml raspberries
- 1.23 ml sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375F).
- Sift together flour, baking powder and custard powder in a bowl. Stir in 1 cup sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, milk, cooled melted butter and lemon peel.
- Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Line muffins tins with paper liners. Put a few berries in the bottom of each muffin tin. Spoon batter over berries to 3/4 full. Put a few more berries on top. I poke then in a bit.
- Sprinkle over sugar. This gives a crunchy top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.