Cheryl Thebeau-Blevins's Note:
The following appeared in BH&G Feb. 99. I like it because I can make the variety preferred by whomever is visiting that day. "A few tweaks in the ingredients in chocolate chip cookies can dramatically change the outcome. Want a crispy thin cookie? Use an all-butter dough. Because butter melts more quickly than shortening in a hot oven, the dough spreads. For a puffy cookie, use shortening to keep the dough from flattening. Get a softer cookie by sweetening it only with brown sugar. Combine brown with granulated sugar for a crispier cookie. Our tinkering resulted in three versions: Our Best Basic, Thin-and-Crispy, and Soft-and-Cakelike." By Jeanne Ambrose, BH&G Best Basic Chocolate Chip Cookie Prep: 25 min Bake 8-10 min per batch
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Thin-and-Crispy: Bake 10-12 min per batch.
- 21 cup butter, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces, 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
- 3Soft-and-Cake-like Bake 9-11 minutes per batch.
- 41/2 cup shortening, 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 2 slightly beaten eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 8 oz sour cream, 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces, 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
- 5Preheat oven to 375°.
- 6FOR BASIC OR THIN COOKIES: in a bowl beat shortening and/or butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- 7Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt; beat until combined.
- 8Beat in egg or eggs and vanilla until combined.
- 9Beat in as much of the flour as you can with a mixer.
- 10With a wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour.
- 11Notes: If you use the beaters on your electric mixer, you can skip the wooden spoon.) Stir in chocolate pieces and nuts.
- 12Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2-inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake Basic cookies 8-10 minutes, and Thin cookies 10-12 minutes or until edges are browned.
- 13Cool on wire rack.
- 14FOR CAKELIKE COOKIES: In a bowl, beat shortening and brown sugar on medium to high speed until combined.
- 15Add eggs and vanilla; bean until combined.
- 16Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream to shortening mixture, beating after each addition.
- 17With a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate pieces and nuts.
- 18Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are browned.
- 19Cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Basic Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.4
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 35.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 1.2 g