Basic Sugar Cookies
photo by Nimz_
- Ready In:
- Beat butter until fluffy, beat in sugar in 3 additions.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In separate bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt; beat into butter mixture in 3 additions.
- Divide dough in 2 equal portions and shape into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On lightly floured surface roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness, cut into shapes.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on baking sheets, greased or lined with parchment paper (I spray mine with PAM).
- Bake until light golden for about 10 minutes. Depending on your oven you may have to turn pans halfway through.
- Mix cookie glaze ingredients until preferred consistency and have fun decorating!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was so super thrilled to use this recipe! Very simple to prepare and double in portion which is a big bonus for me. Also I have to say I only got to a couple of the disks to bake one day and the other two sat in the fridge for 3 days but when I rolled that dough out it was still really nice and the cookies were all perfect. We used a huge variety of cookie cutters and decorated these this time with colored sugars and candies (since the kids were doing the decorating) so I skipped on the glaze this time but I can see using it for a lot of other occasions. I used a bit of powdered sugar in which to dust my mat instead of flour and found the dough not extremely sticky so it made rolling the disks out very easy. Thanks for sharing in the Went to the Market tag game.