Recipe by Boonyas mom
Another recipe I wish I could take full credit for but my sister served this and I just loved it. It makes an easy company dish.
- 1 lb fusilli
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (7 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casing removed (veal or pork)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- salt and black pepper, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta 2 minutes less than package suggests - drain toss w/ 2 tbsp oil - set aside.
- Put spinach in large bowl.
- In skillet cook sausage and break up into small pieces.
- Spoon cooked sausage and its juice over spinach.
- Reheat same skillet add oil, onion, mushrooms, cook until mushrooms are tender and onion is softened.
- Spoon onto sausage/spinach.
- Add 1 cup cheese - mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat, add flour mix until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat - add milk - return to heat.
- Whisk constantly until it reaches a simmer and thickens.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir sauce into meat mixture - add pasta and toss well.
- Spoon into large baking dish.
- Cover with foil (can refrigerate up to a day at this point).
- Bake at 350°F 30 minutes - remove foil add breadcrumbs and 2 tsp cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes - let sit 10 minutes before serving.