Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Copycat version of Wildtime Foods' muesli. All ingredient amounts are estimated and you are welcomed and encouraged to play around with the proportions. Note: the Eden company manufactures brown rice flakes and they are not to be confused or are the same as cereal flakes (Cornflakes, for example). They look very similar to oats. You'll find brown rice flakes in your local natural food store or online. If you're really lucky, some stores may carry them in the bulk bins.
- 1 cup organic quick rolled oats (Oregon-manufactured Grain Millers' brand for us)
- 1 cup brown rice, flakes (brown rice flakes not brown rice, pesky comma, flakes)
- 2 tablespoons roasted almonds (I like slivered or sliced almonds coarsely chopped for these type of recipes)
- 2 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured dates, cut up into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured dried blueberries
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured dried blackberries
- Combine ingredients in a Gladware-type container or Ziploc bag and mix well.
- Three ways to cook muesli: For 1 serving: place 1/2 cup muesli in a heatproof cereal bowl. Pour enough boiling water or cold milk (soy milk, almond milk, etc.) over the muesli enough to saturate it. Set aside for 5 minutes to soften.
- Or, you can cook it by boiling 1 cup of water in a sauce pan; stir in 1/2 cup muesli; cook on medium heat 3-5 minutes.
- Tip: to maintain quality and flavor, I store the container of muesli in the refrigerator or freezer.
"you are welcomed and encouraged to play around with the proportions" -this is what is says in the description and for some reason I remembered ingredients. So I left my imagination run free.I had some blueberry preserve that I added,walnuts (love them in granola),sesame nuts,maybe coconut too and I found a little chocolate sauce in the fridge and I added that too.Combination was great!
Lovely muesli combination! Instead of the oats I used rolled millet and buckwheat, and as it is difficult to find dried blueberries and impossible to find dried blackberries here, I used dried cranberries and aronia berries. Also - typically German, tsts :lol: - I didn't heat the muesli but soaked it overnight in almond milk. The toasted nuts add a wonderful flavor. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Made for Ramadan Tag 2010.