Recipe by LARavenscroft
Other than the fruit, the sugar content of this recipe is very low. You may use either fresh or frozen fruit. If you use frozen fruit, it does not need to be thawed. If you don't have a tart pan use a 9" round cake pan.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
WHAT A WONDERFUL CAKE, & a great recipe that I followed almost to the end ~ Instead of the sugar-free chocolate syrup, I used some homemade chocolate syrup & was sinfully pleased with the results! Thanks for a great taste treat! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 4 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 10 ounces sugar-free strawberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup cherries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- sugar-free chocolate syrup (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks.
- Add Splenda, lemon juice, lemon peel and almond extract and beat thoroughly.
- Stir in flour and baking powder.
- Beat until light yellow and smooth.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour into an ungreased 10" tart pan.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Invert pan to cool.
- Prepare fruit layer while cake is baking.
- Combine jam, cherries, and blueberries in a small saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until fruit breaks down, about 10 minutes.
- Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk into fruit mixture and stir until thickened about 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool at room temperature.
- For cheese layer, combine light cream cheese, Splenda, vanilla, and milk in a small bowl and beat until smooth.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Spread cooled fruit mixture over cheese layer.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over individual servings if desired.