Andy Wold's Note:
Recipe by J.J. Stith chef at "Aqua", Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas NV. Pretty tarts are made from brioche filled with a mixture of fresh berries. The tarts are served with homemade Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream -- Tahitian vanilla is very aromatic -- but may be served with excellent-quality purchased ice cream to simplify the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
TAHITIAN VANILLA ICE CREAM
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tahitian vanilla beans
- 22 egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water, tepid temperature
- 3/4 ounce active dry yeast
- 4 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups mixed berries (blue, rasp, black, straw)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar (opt, for decoration)
- 1To make the ice cream: Combine the milk, cream, sugar, and salt in a saucepan.
- 2Split the vanilla beans and scrape the seeds into the milk mixture, then drop in the pods.
- 3Bring to a boil, then immediately remove from heat and set aside for 2 minutes to steep.
- 4Lightly whisk the egg yolks to break them up, then whisk in a spoonful of the hot milk mixture.
- 5Pour the yolks into the hot milk mixture, whisking gently to combine.
- 6Cook over medium heat, stirring gently but constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- 7Remove from heat and strain through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl set in a larger bowl of ice.
- 8Let chill, stirring occasionally as the mixture cools.
- 9When it is cold, stir in the half-and-half.
- 10Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- 11Pack into airtight freezer containers and freeze until ready to use.
- 12To prepare the brioche: Oil a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- 13Whisk the water, yeast, and eggs together.
- 14In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, and salt with the paddle attachment on low speed.
- 15Slowly add the egg mixture.
- 16Mix until the dough forms a ball.
- 17Add the butter, a few small pieces at a time, until the butter is incorporated.
- 18Mix on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- 19Put the dough in the oiled bowl; the mixture will be soft.
- 20Cover with plastic wrap and place a towel on top.
- 21Refrigerate overnight.
- 22Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- 23Divide the cold dough into 10 portions, roll into balls, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 24Flour a work surface and roll out each ball of dough into a 6-inch circle.
- 25Brush off any excess flour.
- 26Refrigerate again.
- 27Place the circles on a work surface.
- 28Pinch the edge with your thumb and forefinger and twist slightly, turning up a collar all around each circle.
- 29Prick the bottoms with a fork and place on the prepared sheet pans.
- 30Brush the edges of the brioche with cool water and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- 31To finish: Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- 32Gently toss the filling ingredients together.
- 33Mound into the prepared brioche tart shells; the filling will cook down.
- 34Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until the filling bubbles and the edges are golden brown.
- 35Remove and keep warm.
- 36To prepare the coulis: Puree the ingredients in a food processor or blender and strain through a fine-meshed sieve.
- 37Put in a squeeze bottle.
- 38To serve: Place a brioche tart on each dessert plate.
- 39Dust with confectioner's sugar.
- 40Spoon berry coulis over the plates.
- 41Place drops of creme anglaise in the coulis and pull through with a toothpick of the tip of a sharp knife to form a design.
- 42Top each with a scoop of Tahitian vanilla ice cream and garnish with a sprig of mint and (optional) sugar spiral.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Berry Brioche with Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 971.4
- Calories from Fat 362
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.8 g
- Cholesterol 593.1 mg
- Sodium 250.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 136.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 49.0 g
- Protein 19.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: