Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from my cousin, but it has been in our family forever! Goes great with those summer barbeques.
- 1 (28 ounce) can great northern beans
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (cooked)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 dash yellow mustard
- 1 dash apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Drain small amount of liquid off of beans. Cook bacon until done,crumble bacon.
- Drain grease from pan (reserving enough to fry onions).
- Fry chopped onion and bacon in grease until onions are soft.
- Mix with rest of ingredients.
- Bake in a greased baking dish for 1 hour at 3350F uncovered.
I do a similar recipe - this is double batch - can never get away with less: 2 of the big jars of northern beans, 1 lb. brown sugar, a very lrg onion - chopped, 1 can pet milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. mix all and put into a sprayed pan - need larger than a 9x13. top the beans with several strips of thin, lean bacon (I almost cover the top). Bake 350 for 2-3 hrs. The idea of this recipe is to cook down the liquid until it becomes less than half and creamy.
This was awesome! Only thing I did different was use a crockpot.
I've been making these beans for about a year. I have changed from sugar to 1 tbls splenda white and brown,I'm diabetic.I've also made these beans with leftover ham,that is yummy too.Have so many request decided to write a review. My husband's family made these when he was growing up and was so happy when I found this recipe.Try them you won't be sorry.