Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mother used to make endive salad (witlof salade) in different ways; I thought I share them with you. She used to use mayonnaise but I usually use the sour cream. I would think you can use your own favorite dressing on this but I would suggest you make it a creamy one. Use as much dressing on this as you like, the 3 tablespoons are just a guide line. I sometimes cheat and buy the beets in a jar! The amount of this salad depends on the size of the endive and the beets.
- 2 head Belgian endive, the bitter core removed and finely chopped (chicory)
- 2 cooked beets, coarsely grated or chopped in cubes
- 1 apple, coarsely grated or chopped in cubes
- 44.37 ml sour cream, more if you like
- 4.92 ml mustard
- salt and pepper
- Mix the sour cream with the mustard and add salt and pepper.
- Combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Variations: use (as many as you like) chopped hard-boiled eggs instead of the beets, then leave out the mustard and use some curry powder in the sour cream.
- Add some chopped green onion.
- Use 4-6 oz cubed or chopped cheese of your choice instead of the beets.
Very interesting combination of ingredients resulting in an excellent salad.. everyone enjoyed it. I used cottage cheese, whipped for the dressing instead of sour cream.. I made it in the morning but did not put dressing on it until just before serving. This is a" do again" recipe Thanks PetsRus This is indeed a do again salad - Once again I used Cottage Cheese just mixed in the mustard, salt & Pepper, put it in the middle of the salad and tossed it at the table. Love Endive Thanks again Pets"R"us
If you are a fan of Belgian Endive (Chicory) and Beets, then you are in for a treat with this simple yet tasty salad. It turns a very pretty pink color from the beets and has a refreshing taste. Thanks for sharing this easy, tasty salad.