1/4 Photos of Beignets
I havent tried this recipe, but it looks simple and very yummy. Posted in response to a recipe request!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the warm water into a large bowl, then sprinkle in the yeast and a couple teaspoons of the sugar and stir until thoroughly dissolved.
- 2Let proof for 10 minutes.
- 3Add the rest of the sugar, salt, eggs, and evaporated milk.
- 4Gradually stir in 4 cups of the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and thoroughly blended.
- 5Beat in the shortening, then add the remaining flour, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating it in with a spoon until it becomes too stiff to stir, then working in the rest with your hands.
- 6Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight in a greased bowl.
- 7Roll the dough out onto a floured board or marble pastry surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch, then cut it into rectangles 2-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches with a sharp knife.
- 8Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 360 degrees F.
- 9Fry the beignets about 3 or 4 at a time until they are puffed out and golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per batch.
- 10Turn them over in the oil with tongs once or twice to get them evenly brown, since they rise to the surface of the oil as soon as they begin to puff out.
- 11Drain each batch on paper towels, place on a platter lined with several layers of paper towels, and keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until they're all done.
- 12Serve 3 beignets per person, sprinkling heavily with powdered sugar, and serve hot with cafe au lait.
Nutritional Facts for Beignets
Serving Size: 1 (1747 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.7
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 18.5 mg
- Sodium 115.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 5.1 g