Shrimp-Eggplant Beignets With Remoulade Sauce
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 eggplant (5 cups peeled and diced)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 lb peeled and cleaned shrimp, coarsely chopped
- vegetable oil (or peanut oil)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 stalk finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Remoulade Sauce-- Whisk together all ingredients. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Beignets-- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant and next 5 ingredients; cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add shrimp; cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and cool.
- Pour oil to depth of 3 inches in a Dutch oven; heat to 360°F.
- Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; whisk in flour just until moistened.
- Fold in eggplant mixture.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil.
- Fry beignets, a few at a time, 3 minutes or until golden, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with Remoulade Sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
OMG ~ these are just to die for :) WONDERFUL flavor, and they cooked up so fast. I used fresh baby white eggplant from my garden, and 2 very large garlic cloves. I think next time I'll add a bit more red pepper flakes, and salt (I cut the salt to 1 teaspoon and should have added 1 1/2 as written).I ended up with 40 beignets, and they were a healthy size. ~Rita~, thanks so much for a FABULOUS recipe ~ this one definitely goes in the keeper cookbook and in my opinion, would be very impressive to serve to company. BRAVO! Made for ZWT5, Bodacious Brickhouse Babes.
Very light and fluffy fried seafood beignets. They were like tempura...very light and fluffy. I chose this because I have way too many eggplants from the garden, and this was a very unique way to use them. A bonus...my DS ate eggplant and enjoyed it for the first time! I used Virginia Cherry Blossom's Recipe #373985 373985 because I really like capers in my remoulade sauce, plus she is a Senorita!! Made for ZWT5.
These are absolutely fantastic! I made just a quarter batch for DS, his friend and myself. I got maybe 10 beignets. They are so easy to make and the remoulade sauce is delicious! I didn't have a whole grain mustard so I used horseradish mustard and it was soooo good! I'm thinking of maybe adding a little diced red pepper next time as well. The boys couldn't believe they ate eggplant! They loved it. Thanks so much for sharing a new favorite recipe. Brenda.