Recipe by Karin...
Beetroot done this way is divine! Most people I find are so pleasantly surprised when they discover the gorgeous flavour of this dish. I lost count of the number of times I've written the recipe out for friends! It's a real winner! A 440g can of beetroot can be substituted for cooked beetroot - just drain and heat through in the sauce. The fresh beetroot takes a while to cook, but it's worth it!
Top Review by Mille®
How delightful to have a tasty side veggie so different, and low sodium to boot. I put lemon juice (instead of salt) in the water to boil the beetroot. Served 'em with my own Fish and Chips and Chip Shop Curry Sauce. This one gets a blue ribbon from me.
- 500 g beetroots
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 15 g butter
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beetroot in boiling salted water for about 1 hour or until tender.
- Drain and peel.
- Slice, or, using a melon baller, make small balls.
- Heat the sugar, vinegar, strained orange juice and butter in pan.
- Mix cornflour with water and stir into the orange juice mixture.
- Stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add beetroot and heat through.
- Transfer beetroot onto serving dish and pour over the orange sauce.
- Garnish with some of the orange peel VERY THINLY sliced and arranged on top.