Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This risotto has not only an incredible jewel like color, but also a delicious deep taste, tempered by the greens, lemon, and Parmesan cheese. Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
- 5 1⁄2-6 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons butter (or a mixture of butter and olive oil)
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbls. dried)
- 2 -3 medium beets, peeled, grated (about 2 cups)
- 2 -3 cups greens, finely chopped (beet, chard, kale or spinach-stems removed)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, grated zest and juice
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring stock to simmer on stove. Heat the butter in a wide pot, add onion, and cook over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice, stir to coat it well, and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer until it's absorbed, then stir in half the parsley, the basil, grated beets, and the chard(or other greens).
- Add 2 cups stock, cover, and cook at a fast simmer until stock is absorbed.
- Begin adding the remaining stock in 1/2 cup increments, stirring constantly until each addition is absorbed before adding the next. When you have 1 cup left, add the beet greens or spinach.
- Taste for salt, season with pepper, then stir in the lemon zest and juice to taste.
- Serve dusted with the Parmesan cheese and the remaining parsley.