Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is both a vegetable side dish and a condiment, and goes with everything from pan fried fish to roast meats. The flavor of the puree is quite intense so you won't need to serve much more than a couple of tablespoons per person.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 beets, cooked and sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 7 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil in a pan then add the onion and garlic and cook for 6-8 mins until golden.
- Lower the heat and stir in the beets, vinegar and tomato paste.
- Cook gently for 15-20 mins until everything is sticky and caramelized. This can now be served as it is if you like.
- Pour in the broth and the cream and stir together. Tip into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Serve straight away or reheat before serving.