Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This recipe is a favorite of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
- 3 lbs red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 fresh beet, diced
- 3 lbs mixed sausages (Knockwurst, Weisswurst, Bockwurst, etc.)
- 4 apples, Haralsons work well
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons parsley, minced (Hold back a teaspoon for garnish)
- 4 tablespoons dill, minced (Hold back a teaspoon for garnish)
- Clean, cut out the core and slice cabbage thin. Peel, cut out the core and slice apples. Discard peels and cores.
- Melt the butter over high heat in a large pot. Add the onions and sugar. Cook until lightly caramelized. Add the cabbage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and stir. Cook for a few minutes longer.
- Add the red wine and all the herbs and spices. Cover and reduce heat to low after mixture comes to a boil. Cook for 70 minutes.
- Lightly brown the sausages in the 2 tbsp of butter 10 minutes before serving. Remove lid from cabbage. Cook for a few minutes and pile sausages on top, cooking cabbage for 5-10 minutes more to reduce the juices. The simmering will keep the sausages warm.
- Serve with pretzel bread and plenty of strong Bavarian mustard.