1 hr 40 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is a favorite of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 fresh beet, diced
- 3 lbs mixed sausages (Knockwurst, Weisswurst, Bockwurst, etc.)
- 4 apples, Haralsons work well
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons parsley, minced (Hold back a teaspoon for garnish)
- 4 tablespoons dill, minced (Hold back a teaspoon for garnish)
- 1Clean, cut out the core and slice cabbage thin. Peel, cut out the core and slice apples. Discard peels and cores.
- 2Melt the butter over high heat in a large pot. Add the onions and sugar. Cook until lightly caramelized. Add the cabbage and cook for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the vinegar and stir. Cook for a few minutes longer.
- 4Add the red wine and all the herbs and spices. Cover and reduce heat to low after mixture comes to a boil. Cook for 70 minutes.
- 5Lightly brown the sausages in the 2 tbsp of butter 10 minutes before serving. Remove lid from cabbage. Cook for a few minutes and pile sausages on top, cooking cabbage for 5-10 minutes more to reduce the juices. The simmering will keep the sausages warm.
- 6Serve with pretzel bread and plenty of strong Bavarian mustard.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Garden-Style Red Cabbage and Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (607 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 840.2
- Calories from Fat 488
- Total Fat 54.2 g
- Saturated Fat 20.5 g
- Cholesterol 145.3 mg
- Sodium 1217.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 31.2 g
- Protein 29.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: