Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an old recipe from my Mum. The beer doesn't make it bitter, it gives it a nice yeasty taste and the streusel finishes it off nicely. There's always a little beer left over for the cook too!
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 2 cups beer
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces butter, melted
- Combine sifted flour, sugar and dried fruit.
- Add beaten eggs and melted butter and mix it all together.
- Gradually add the beer mixing it in as you go.
- Pour cake batter into lined or greased cake tin 9"x13".
- To make the streusel combine the three ingredients and mix well.
- Using your fingers, crumble the streusel topping evenly over the cake batter. Gently press it in a little.
- Cook in moderate oven (180c) for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
I have to rate this as it is one of my all time favourite cakes. growing up it was my dads favourite too. the only difference is i don't like currants and i make sure the beer is really flat. i love making this for people as they are so suprised!