Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is posted by request, but I've got to try this soon - DH loves onion rings. From a Bisquick cookbook.
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings (Vidalia)
- 2 1⁄4 cups Bisquick baking mix, divided use
- 1 cup beer (darker beer will make it more flavorful)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
Cajun Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Heat VEGETABLE OIL in deep fryer or heavy saucepan to 375*; oil should be about 1 1/2 inches deep.
- Prepare Cajun Dipping Sauce by stirring until all ingredients are blended; set aside.
- Toss onion rings and 1/4 cup Bisquick.
- Stir remaining 2 cups Bisquick, beer, salt and eggs until smooth.
- (If batter seems too thick, add more beer, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency).
- Dip onion rings, a few at a time, into batter.
- Fry about 2 minutes, turning each ring after 1 minute, until golden brown; drain well.
- Serve hot with Cajun Dipping Sauce.
Wonderful and easy beer batter! I used a dark mexican beer and added a pinch of cayenne and 1 T sugar to the patter, then fried em crispy! So good! Served with a smoked paprika aioli I had. Yum!
i made the rings and dip for a steelers party and everyone raved about them. the batter sticks perfectly to the rings. They were great! PS the steelers won! Go steelers!!!!
i love onion rings and this a great recipe thank you for posting dee