Recipe by Darlene Summers
My husband fishes every day. He fishes for Crappie, Bluegill and catfish--I fish for Bass (when I fish), so we have a large collection of really great fish recipes. This is just one of them.
Top Review by newtocookingm&m
we loved it!!! We will definitly make again! I agree w/ the other review it puffed up very nice & I may add a little more spice next time but it is still great the way it is, simple breading we served w/ tatar sauce. the beer we used was Becks & we used Peanut Oil & when we ran out we used Canola oil.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs crappie fillets
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk pancake mix, divided
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup beer
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut Crappie into 1 inch pieces.
- Stir together the 1/3 cup of pancake mix with cornmeal, salt, onion and garlic powder, dry mustard and pepper.
- Now taking the 1 cup of pancake mix (slowly and stirring well,) add the 3/4 cup of beer.
- Going back to the dry ingredients.
- Dip the Crappie bites into the dry ingredients, coating well, and then into the beer batter.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Deep fry the Crappie bites a few at a time until golden brown and crispy (about 2 minutes). Drain on paper towels. Keep warm till all fish is fried and serve warm.
- This is also good using Bluegill, Bass, or many other kinds of fresh water fish.