Recipe by evelyn/athens
A Canadian Living Recipe, so it's tested till it's perfect . From the Kingston Brewing Company, Kingston, Ontario. 2 rising times not included.
Top Review by Caroline Cooks
DELICIOUS! Made in my bread machine. Love the density; will make a wonderful toasted BLT! Will make this again and add some herb, cheese, or bacon bits. Thank you for posting this easy and tasty recipe.
- 946.36 ml large-flake rolled oats (not instant)
- 1182.95 ml flour (approximately)
- 354.88 ml warm water
- 29.58 ml active dry yeast
- 340.19 g bottlepale ale or 340.19 g bottle brown ale
- 118.29 ml skim milk powder
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 14.79 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Set aside ¼ cup of the oats for the topping; in food processor, grind 2 cups of the remaining oats until fine; set aside.
- Sprinkle remaining oats evenly over rimmed baking sheet; toast in 350F oven for 20 minutes, stirring once; let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the flour, the warm water and the yeast; let stand until frothy, about 15 minutes.
- In large bowl, whisk together the ale, skim milk powder, sugar and salt; whisk in yeast mixture; stir in 3 cups of the remaining flour and the ground and toasted oats; stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a slightly sticky dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding more of the remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking; place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over; cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Punch dough down; cut in half; pat each half into 11- x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) rectangle; starting at narrow end, roll up into cylinder; pinch along bottom to smooth and seal; fit into 2 greased 8- x 4-inch (1,5L) loaf pans; cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Brush loaves lightly with water; sprinkle with reserved oats.
- Bake in centre of preheated 375F (190C) oven until golden and loaves sound hollow when tapped on bottom, about 40 minutes.