1/1 Photo of Beer and Oat Bread
A Canadian Living Recipe, so it's tested till it's perfect . From the Kingston Brewing Company, Kingston, Ontario. 2 rising times not included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set aside ¼ cup of the oats for the topping; in food processor, grind 2 cups of the remaining oats until fine; set aside.
- 2Sprinkle remaining oats evenly over rimmed baking sheet; toast in 350F oven for 20 minutes, stirring once; let cool slightly.
- 3Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the flour, the warm water and the yeast; let stand until frothy, about 15 minutes.
- 4In large bowl, whisk together the ale, skim milk powder, sugar and salt; whisk in yeast mixture; stir in 3 cups of the remaining flour and the ground and toasted oats; stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a slightly sticky dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding more of the remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking; place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over; cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- 5Punch dough down; cut in half; pat each half into 11- x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) rectangle; starting at narrow end, roll up into cylinder; pinch along bottom to smooth and seal; fit into 2 greased 8- x 4-inch (1,5L) loaf pans; cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 6Brush loaves lightly with water; sprinkle with reserved oats.
- 7Bake in centre of preheated 375F (190C) oven until golden and loaves sound hollow when tapped on bottom, about 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer and Oat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1831 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2136.3
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 3632.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 420.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.8 g
- Sugars 64.9 g
- Protein 69.5 g