Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is more of a soup than a thick chili. It is meaty and wonderful on a fall day. The cooking time is flexible. I have served it after an hour and have also cooked it several hours. It tastes best when simmered at least 3 hours. Freezes well.
- 3 -4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 lb ground chuck, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 (30 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 30 ounces water, use sauce can to measure
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable juice or 3 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- In large pot over medium high heat, saute in olive oil: cooked bacon, onion, and cooked meat until onions soften (about 3 or 4 minutes).
- Add garlic and spices, saute two more minutes.
- Add everything else. Simmer a few hours.