Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
For crockpot, or slow cooker. I make something similar on the stove top, but decided to use the slow cooker instead.
- 1 kg beef gravy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500 g red pasta sauce (any favourite will do)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 200 g green beans, cut in halve
- 200 g carrots, cut in small pieces
- 400 g baby potatoes
- In a frying pan, add olive oil, when heated, add onion and garlic, cook, until transparent, add meat and brown.
- Place meat (including onion, garlic and oil) and all other ingredients into the slow cooker(crockpot), mix well. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on slow for 7-9.
This is more like a stew then what I'd call a casserole. I assumed it called for beef stew meat. I did like the combination of veggies for it but in the end it gets a low rating because it mainly tasted like cloves. I felt the taste was WAY too strong. Maybe if I just used cinnamon? In the end I decided I'd use this combination of vegetables in my favorite beef stew recipe and just stick with that.
This turned out really good! Nice flavor and I loved the vegetables included in this recipe. The meat turned out very tender. I will make this again! Made for Recipe Swap No19 August 2008 game, from the Aussie Forum.