A rich beefy tomato-based soup.
Make and share this Beef-Tomato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs sirloin steaks, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water (or 5 cups beef broth)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed stock pot, cook and stir the beef, onion and green pepper in the 2 tbsp oil until meat is browned on all sides; drain the oil.
- Add in the next 10 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-30 mins, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and the tomato paste.
- Cover and simmer for another 25-30 mins longer, or until the meat is tender.
- Discard the bay leaves before serving.
- Garnish soup bowls with a couple of tablespoons of sour cream if desired.