Recipe by RedBird1
Whenever a friend of mine from college comes to visit, we always stay in one night and cook a fabulous meal for ourselves. This was the product of one of our cooking extravaganzas. The sauce is absolutely fabulous, so make sure you have some bread on hand to soak it all up, or serve with mashed potatoes and use it as a gravy.
Top Review by KenC990
We have made this twice now and it's a real keeper. The first time we cooked the burgundy sauce on high enough to reduce it by about half and the second was more a slow simmer. The recipe didn't say either way. When it wasn't reduced, it had a more tart, wine, taste and was runny instead of more gravy like in texture. The recipe wasn't near as good as when the sauce was reduced by about half. My opinion, reduce the sauce by at least half.
- 4 beef tenderloin fillets, sliced 1 in. thick
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups Burgundy wine or 1 1⁄2 cups chianti wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 lb white pearl onion
- 8 -10 carrots, sliced 1 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper on both sides of . Brown in oil for 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté bacon for 5 minutes; remove. Drain fat from pan, reserving 2 tablespoons. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add wine and deglaze pan; cook on high for 1 minute. Add stock, tomato paste, thyme, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper.
- Boil uncovered for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture and return to pan. Add onion and carrot; simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Mash 2 tablespoons of butter and the flour into a paste; whisk into the sauce. Simmer 2 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, sauté mushrooms in a separate pan until soft in 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil. Also crumble the cooked bacon.
- Add beef, mushrooms, and bacon to the pan with sauce. Cover and reheat gently for 10 minutes before serving.