1/2 Photos of Beef Stroganoff With Mushrooms and Herbs
Beef Stroganoff is one of those recipes that everyone who makes it has a slightly different version. This is certainly not how I remember Mama, or Gma making it. They didn't cook with herbs at all as I recall.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 ounces baby bella mushrooms, stems discarded (or re-purposed)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb flank steaks or 1 lb hanger steak, sliced across the grain 1 inch thick
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- buttered fettuccine or egg noodles, for serving
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add mushrooms and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, stir, transfer to a bowl.
- 2Meanwhile, generously season beef with salt and pepper and toss with the flour to coat on all sides; add 2 tablespoons oil, increase heat to medium high, and brown meat well on all sides, about 10 minutes; add to bowl with mushrooms.
- 3Pour the wine into the skillet and let it reduce by half as you loosen any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet, 2 minutes; add to bowl.
- 4Reduce heat back to medium and add butter; saute onions and garlic, stirring frequently to prevent burning, until onions soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- 5Return contents of bowl back to skillet and stir in chicken stock, and Worcestershire sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens up a bit, about 10 minutes (if it does not thicken to your liking, you can make a slurry with 1 teaspoon cornstarch and a little water just to make it pourable).
- 6Turn off heat, stir in sour cream and herbs.
- 7Serve over butter fettucine or egg noodles.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stroganoff With Mushrooms and Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.8
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 102.3 mg
- Sodium 259.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 29.2 g