Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from the dialysis center because my mom had to eat certain foods. our family loved it and it's the only recipe i use now.
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- add salt
- Saute mushrooms and onions in large skillet in margarine until soft; remove from skillet and set aside.
- slice the meat into strips the size of a pencil, 3 to 4 inches long and brown in skillet.
- reduce heat to simmer.
- return vegetables to skillet and add 1 cup water, dry mustard and pepper.
- cover and simmer 45 min.
- or until meat is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- combine flour with 1/4 cup water, stir until smooth.
- stir into meat mixture and cook until sauce thickens, about 2 min.
- reduce heat to low.
- just before serving, stir in sour cream.
- serve over hot buttered noodles.
This was delicious! The sauce was very flavorful. I did add 1/4 t salt and used part red wine and part water. Thanks for posting a beef stroganoff recipe that doesn't call for a can of mushroom soup or some other canned soup with added MSG and all sorts of nasty stuff. It's amazing that most recipes rely on canned soup. I'll be making this again and again.
This is an excellent version of Beef Stoganoff.
this was the best stroganoff i ever had...i will be making this again for sure!!!! this a must try for anyone who likes beef stroganoff...