2 hrs 15 mins
Comfort food. I know the ingredient list is a little odd, but it makes a really tasty gravy with a lot of depth and character, almost somewhere in between a standard beef stew and pot roast. My family hasn't really cared for most of the stew recipes I've tried (or pot roasts for that matter), but they really like this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4-1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 1/2-2 lbs chuck roast or 1 1/2-2 lbs round roast, cut into 1 - 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon grease or 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of asparagus soup
- 1 (1 ounce) package lipton's onion and mushroom soup mix
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (I like Marsala)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon horseradish sauce (I like Beaver brand deli style)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, peeled & chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled & cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces (about 6 1/2 ounces) or 12 -17 whole baby carrots (about 6 1/2 ounces)
- 2 large russet potatoes or 2 large red potatoes, cut into 1 . 5-inch chunks
- 3 small turnips, peeled & quartered
- 1Dredge meat in flour to coat (shaking off any excess flour; excess can be reserved and used as a thickener at the end if desired, but I don't).
- 2In a Dutch oven, heat the grease over medium heat, and brown the beef (5 minutes).
- 3Whisk together the soup, soup mix, coffee, wine, water, beef base, horseradish sauce, soy sauce, seasoning salt, oregano, thyme, garlic, and onions; add the mixture to the meat in the pot.
- 4Simmer, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes.
- 5Add the carrots, potatoes, and turnips, and simmer, covered, until beef is tender (1-1.5 hours) (Stew can be made ahead up to this point and refrigerated).
- 6Uncover the stew and bring to a boil.
- 7Cover and cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes more.
- 8(I just serve at this point, but if thicker gravy is desired) With a slotted spoon, remove the meat and vegetables to a serving platter.
- 9Stir a couple of tablespoons of water into the reserved flour, and add to the liquid in the pot.
- 10Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened (2 minutes).
- 11Pour gravy over meat and vegetables.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stew With Coffee Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.8
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 78.8 mg
- Sodium 646.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 29.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: