Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a really good version of a crustless cheeseburger pie. It's from the Better Homes and Gardens Quick and Easy Cookbook.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs (equvalent of 1 slice of bread, just throw it in the blender to make crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
CHEESE PUFF TOPPING
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut up
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375; spray an 8" round baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion& thyme on a medium heat until the meat is browned& the onion is tender; drain off fat.
- Stir together 1 egg and 1/4 cup milk; add bread crumbs, worcestershire sauce, salt& pepper.
- Mix well, add the meat mixture, and mix well again.
- Press the meat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a blender, combine the 3 eggs and 3 tbs. of milk; cover and blend until smooth.
- With the blender still running, add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese cubes through the opening in the lid; blend until nearly smooth.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the meat.
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until the mixture is puffy and set.
- The puff will remain creamy in the center.
- Serve immediately.
The directions are easy to follow. I used an 8x8 pan and it turned out great. The recipe is a little bland for us so next time I will add mushrooms and tabasco to the meat mixture. Recommend sharp cheddar. It holds together great and makes a nice presentation. Thanks for sharing.
I was reluctant to make this as I am not a big fan of ground beef or strong cheese, though I do use a mild cream cheese when cooking. This pie turned out just as Charmed said it would and I loved the taste. It has such a delicate flavour, I will be doing this again and again