Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Very good way to get my family to eat their veggies. They hardley notice the cabbage.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 2⁄3 cup green peppers or 2⁄3 cup red peppers or 2⁄3 cup yellow pepper (or a mixture)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 hamburger buns
- Brown meats with onion& celery in a large skillet.
- Drain of fat.
- Stir in cabbage,pepper,ketchup water mustard& garlic powder.
- Heat to boiling.
- Stir occasionally.
- Reduce heat& cover pan.
- Simmer till veggies are tender about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Toast hamburger buns if desired.
- Spoon mixture on to bottom half of roll.
- Top with remaining half.
- 16 servings.
This is a *very* tasty, creative & unique idea that DH & I loved! It was a timely find as I am trying to use a *huge* head of cabbage DH bought for just 2 of us. We love SJs & all these ingredients, so I made no effort to disguise them & just rough chopped the veggies. I added salt + more garlic than specified, reduced the cook time by half & liked the still slightly crisp veggie texture. I did have to watch it closely, stir freq to keep it from sticking to the pan & add a bit more water. My hamb buns were giant-sized, so 1 was a filling meal. Love this recipe! Thx for sharing it w/us. :-)